Dermatologists specialize in the treatment of skin, hair, nails, and mucous membranes.
These skincare specialists can help when your at-home treatments aren’t working anymore. Whether it’s acne, itchy skin, or the effects of aging, Dermatology Consultants of Frisco are a great resource to help with your skin concerns.
What Does a Dermatologist Treat?
Dermatologists treat a wide variety of skin ailments. But they also treat conditions that affect the hair, such as baldness, or even the nails such as ingrown toenails. Although some skin issues can be treated at home, there are times when a dermatologist’s help is warranted. Prescription medications and creams, as well as in-office procedures can help to alleviate the symptoms of your skin concerns. Some of the most common concerns for seeing a dermatologist are:
- Acne is a disease affecting the oil glands on the skin which causes pimples on the face, chest, and back. Acne can cause low self-esteem, embarrassment, and possible scarring.
- Dermatitis and Eczema is an inflammation of the skin that causes uncomfortable itching, swelling, redness, and possible oozing bumps. This affliction can be painful and embarrassing.
- Skin cancer is the most common type of cancer. Melanoma is the most deadly form of skin cancer. Dermatologists are trained to recognize skin cancer and recommend getting checked once a year for possible skin cancer growths. Growths that have any change in size, color, shape, thickness, or texture are reasons to get checked out by a dermatologist.
- Hair loss is a condition that can be caused by a disease such as alopecia, or some other reason. It can be embarrassing and cause low self-esteem.
- Fungal infections are common skin conditions such as ringworm, yeast infections, jock itch, and athlete’s foot. This ailment can cause itching, redness, oozing, and can be quite uncomfortable.
- Psoriasis is a disease that speeds up the production of skin cells. These extra cell growths form patches of red, scaly skin on the body, which can be itchy and painful. Psoriasis patches can range from small and minor, to large areas that are often embarrassing and quite painful.
- Signs of Aging such as wrinkles, sun spots, sagging skin, and scarring are an unpleasant side effect of growing older. A dermatologist can help with the best skincare products as well as the latest technologies in skincare to help fight the effects of aging.
What Procedures Does a Dermatologist Perform?
Although many skin conditions can be treated with medications and non-invasive therapy, some require a surgical or more invasive treatment. One common procedure is a biopsy, in which skin is removed to examine the tissue more closely. Biopsies are usually used to rule out or confirm types of skin cancers.
Other procedures include cryotherapy to remove warts and other skin ailments. Hair removal for unwanted hair and hair transplants for hair loss. Laser surgery is used to remove moles, warts, unwanted hair, scars, and birthmarks. Even acne can be treated with laser therapy. Dermatologists use many different procedures to combat unwanted aging effects. Laser treatments, microdermabrasion, fractional resurfacing, photo facials, chemical peels, etc.
If you feel that you should consult with a dermatologist in Frisco about your skin concerns, please call our office to schedule a consultation with our skincare specialists today!